If I’m honest, I find boiled potatoes quite bland and uninspiring (kumara on the other hand…!). However, when you add Indian spices to fluffy potatoes, they soak up the flavours so well. These Indian spiced smashed potatoes make such a delicious side dish and are the perfect way of using up any leftover potatoes from your fridge.
- A small drizzle of olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 cooked potatoes, cubed
- 1 heaped tsp tomato paste, optional
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp each of ground coriander and ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder, or to taste
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- A generous seasoning of salt and pepper
- To serve: fresh coriander leaves, roasted broccoli and pumpkin seeds
- Heat the oil in a frypan over a medium-high heat. Once it’s hot, and the mustard seeds and wait for them to pop, about a minute or two.
- Then add the tomato paste if using, spices and apple cider vinegar and stir with a wooden spoon for about 30 seconds. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Now add the cubed potatoes and mix everything together well until the potatoes are completely coated in the spice mix.
- Serve with the fresh coriander leaves, pumpkin seeds and roasted broccoli.