Since it was World Porridge Day yesterday (10th October) it seems only fitting that I share a recipe for a jazzed-up version of one of my favourite foods. Porridge is such a great option for breakfast and it can be topped with just about anything!
- ½ cup oats
- 1 cup milk of your choice – I used almond milk (you could also use ½ water)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or more if you’re like me!)
- ½ banana, mashed
- 1 tsp psyllium husk/ ground linseeds (optional)
- A sprinkle of crunchy granola – I used this recipe because it’s never too early to be eating vegetables right?!
- 1 Tbsp smooth peanut butter, no sugar added
- An extra dash of cinnamon (!!)
- The other ½ of the banana, cut in half lengthways and pan fried cut side down in 1 tsp coconut oil until golden
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen blueberries, microwaved in 1 Tbsp water until softened
- Place the oats, milk, cinnamon, mashed banana and psyllium husk/ ground linseeds if using into a small pot and bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and stir the porridge frequently until it has thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon the oats into a bowl and either serve as is or load it up with all the toppings! Serve immediately.
Note: you can also cook the porridge in the microwave on high for 3 minutes.