What started off as an idea to bake a belated-birthday cake for an absent person, turned into 2 impatient foodies unable to resist cutting into the first slice before the recipient got home!
- ½ cup mild olive oil, or 125 g melted butter
- ½-1 cup maple syrup or coconut sugar, or a combination of both
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup ground almonds
- ½ cup milk of your choice (I used almond)
- 1 ¼ cup brown rice flour (you could also use buckwheat flour)
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- A pinch of sea salt
- 3 packed cups of grated courgette/ zucchini (no need to squeeze out the excess moisture)
- 6 Tbsp maple syrup
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 4 Tbsp coconut milk, preferably chilled
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/ 340°F and grease and line a 22cm/ 9 inch cake tin.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl and then stir in the oil or melted butter, coconut sugar or maple syrup, ground almonds and milk.
- Next add the the brown rice flour, tapioca flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, orange zest, cinnamon and sea salt, making sure that the baking soda is evenly distributed throughout the batter. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Stir in the grated courgette/ zucchini and then pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the chocolate ganache. Whisk everything together in a small bowl or jug until smooth and glossy.
- Pour the ganache over the cooled cake, letting it run down the sides. The ganache will harden as it sets.
Fi (and the other foodie, Georgia) x