This marinated chicken is bursting with flavour and uses festive spices to create a perfect balance of sweet, salty, sour and spicy flavours. You will be instantly transported to the Caribbean.
- 3-4 chicken breasts, preferably free range (chicken thighs would also work)
For the Marinade:
- 1 Tbsp chilli powder/ flakes, or to taste
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tbsp of fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped or 1 Tbsp of dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp ground allspice – derived from the native Jamaican pimento tree
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 5 good grinds of black pepper
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup apple cider or white vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce/ tamari
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup oil such as olive oil
- Add all of the marinade ingredients into a large shallow dish or bowl. Mix everything together and taste, adding more sweetness from the honey/ maple syrup if required.
- Place the chicken into the dish or bowl. Use your hands to turn the chicken breasts over a few times to make sure that the chicken is fully coated in the marinade. Place the chicken into the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Grill the chicken by searing the outside over a high heat in a grill pan, frying pan or ideally on a barbecue. Then reduce the heat to medium and cook the chicken through until the juices run clear.
- Serve with seasonal veges such as a fresh salad and potatoes.