Full of delicious spices, this recipe is perfect for anyone who is trying to cut down on their sugar intake. Using buckwheat flour makes this loaf naturally gluten free and it’s also completely gut/ FODMAP friendly. Nothing beats eating a slice that’s still warm from the oven!
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt, preferably natural sea salt
- Optional: 1 tsp ground nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- Optional: a few handfuls of roughly broken up walnut halves
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup/ 60 g melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup of any type of milk – you may need more liquid if the batter is too thick
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 3 medium bananas
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/ 350ºF and line a loaf tin with baking paper or a non – stick liner.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted coconut oil or butter, apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and milk. Add the bananas and roughly mash them into the wet mixture with a fork so that there are still some larger pieces.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and carefully mix everything together until it is just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.